Wuthering Heights


S and I were both feeling delicate after the night before and so agreed on a slow day which was garden based to begin with and then a slow stroll to the beach, fizzy drink, pier, sand, sea, ice-cream, home for a nap. That day also gave the joyful news that A's suitcase had turned up, complete and undamaged. Phew. (She looks like she's had the most wonderful time)
Then to complete a delightful day, off with a delicious evening Indian meal. 

And then the day we'd come so far for. We awoke fresh and excited. The background is simply a chance image that S saw and sent to our little WhatsApp group of 'Wuthering Heights day'. And then I saw that this year there was one at G, My home town! (This might even be an annual event although none of us had heard of it) And you can't ignore the fates telling you to go, that would be rude. Dressed in my only red dress that kinda still fits and Sharon in a plum red and glorious flowery, Frida Kahloesque headdress, we set off to the G cliffs. The day had warmed and we received a few stares. One couple stopped us to ask why everyone was wearing red. This gave our hearts relief that we were going to the right place and would not be alone. 'A'homage to Kate Bush' was S's initial reply and after a little chat we were told we'd fit right in! Not long after I was asked if I was Kate Bush and then we saw the assembled mass of red and heard a slightly painfully sung rendition of a Bush classic. We joined at the back of the collected Kates and chatted to the women around us before the first rehearsal promptly began at 11. We had not learnt the dance before but happily by the 4th practice/performance we weren't too bad. A woman a little in front of us clearly knew it will do we copied her and she seemed modestly thrilled when we thanked her. The weather was brilliantly dramatic, waves of sun and cloud, wind and rain. There is video evidence of us but not the first 3 tries. Well, some evidence of dance number two but as the camera slipped you can only see a short amount of hand and fingers. This version is in our opinion the best and funniest one. The actual 'best' video doesn't have any other people in it so we look like two middle aged women playing dress up. It was a glorious event of women and a few men rejoicing in dance and song together without embarrassment but lots of laughter, being Kate Bush. We will, I hope do it again and I hope that you are inspired to join us. Watching ourselves back made us howl with laughter, tears running down or faces, that was after we got a key (locked out of mum's) and a failed attempt at getting a cup of tea in the nearest cafe to my mum's house. It's been there all the years I've known G and I'd never ventured in. I almost definitely won't go in again. 

While I was away my ever resourceful husband had set up a pump system to get our grey water around the garden more easily. Which is just as well because the promised Sunday rain didn't get to London. Our Good Life set up making me feel very proud of us, although I have no intention of getting chickens or a goat. I have been harvesting a few raspberries each morning for my healthy breakfast. 

This week was to be the last really lazy week of my break, a bit of life admin, tidying and deciding not to paint any walls. I got my birthday present from BigA early. An exercise bike which meant we happily got rid of the 15 year old sofa and rickety wardrobe from the smallest bedroom which is now a little gym. My intention is to feel fit and healthy as I head into my 48th year. The light is quite good in there too so I might set up my art equipment as well. It did mean we bagged most of M's stuff. I don't think she quite realises how much she had her. We dropped it off on Thursday. It was strange though, taking down her pictures and thinking of her heading off to uni. I did a bit of a furniture rearrange so now when people stay in the end room, if there are 2 of them both can get out of bed without shuffling to the end and bashing into the door. 

What started as a very exciting week ended with the mundanity of me trying to give the bathrooms a jolly good clean! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brussels

Garden clearance

shoes