Sun and snakes

 Following on from a very good party on the Friday I had a bit of a non day on Saturday, but the poker game at the end of the day was good fun, despite my shockingly bad playing. On Sunday, there was a planned power outage and I got up grateful that the sun was shining and that we have a gas hob ready to make myself a cup of tea. My course starts in October so I figure I should enjoy the sense of no rush or of really having anything urgent to do. A small bird of prey was calling as I got the water in, watered the seedlings and listened to More or Less on a podcast, my family sleeping soundly while I began to decide where I was going to put the currently thriving basil plants. 


The working week has not been quite so relaxing, the short terms mean each week is always full on. I had to be very firm with some staff, who despite the training less than a week ago let a total stranger wander around on his phone. I had to be even more firm with my HPQH provider because I had the third email asking for my payment which I have paid, in full and in August. This time I was very clear and asked for my email to be referred to the manager of the department. Sorted within 2 hours! I was gently firm with a member of staff who I had to issue a verbal warning to mid week, he was like a sorry little boy, apologising and promising a change. I won't hold my breath, because although I know he has needs I don't think he has fully accepted the issue. But he did at least promise to book an appointment with a therapist that he had been seeing before. 

I've enjoyed my teaching this week, the students here are such a delight and really seem to care and listen. I have a lovely timetable too. Although it has been changed a few times, now at least it is settled. I'm still teaching Ayla, she's happy enough, absolutely knackered after her first day back - hard after nearly two months off. I played a little badminton on Monday and with all the walking about school I too have been feeling tired. 

One of the cats brought another snake into the house - biga managed to save this one. It was a harmless one, which almost all snakes in Malawi are. He has working hard and helping not just our new staff but also other new people to Malawi. 

I think my favourite day of the week was Thursday because we had school show auditions. The first time in what feels like forever. A sung really well but was very nervous. But I think she'll get a good part. 

I'm currently at K's house, sitting with my feet in the sun drinking tea. Bliss. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brussels

Garden clearance

Norfolk trying to find spring